Small- and medium-sized business (SMB) owners can only do so much with their limited time every day. As a business owner yourself, what you do with your time can have a significant impact on the success of your organization. One good way you can utilize your time effectively is by looking for new and creative ways to improve your company’s operations and your staff’s productivity. Here's what other SMB owners are doing to make the most out of their time.
#1 Set a morning routine
Encouraging employees to create a healthy morning routine can set the tone for a productive workday. Since every person is different, a specific morning routine might work for some but not for others. Try experimenting with routines and see what works for you. Remember that it takes a couple of months to form a new habit, so stick to it. Morning routines can help you and your employees think clearer, achieve more, and get the most important things done. Here's a sample of what a good morning routine looks like.
- Wake up at the same time every day
- Do stretching exercises
- Take a refreshing shower
- Have a cup of coffee
- Write down your goals
#2 Organize your bookkeeping
Nothing can waste time more than working with messy bookkeeping systems. Cleaning up your bookkeeping will help save time and improve your company's finances, and here's how you do just that:
- Segregate personal and business finances
- Always monitor your transactions
- Invest in a good accounting software
- Digitize your paperwork
- Get a professional accountant
- Review your books regularly
#3 Study social media
If you haven't mastered the art of social media, now is a good time to start. Social media is a wonderful tool used by various SMBs to reach thousands of potential customers. Other reasons you should start taking advantage of social media include:
- Raising awareness for your brand
- Helping you engage with customers
- Reducing advertising cost
- Increasing website traffic
#4 Improve employee productivity
Your employees are the backbone of your business. The amount of work they finish in a day will contribute to how successful your business will be. If you can maximize your employees' performance, you'll find it easier to reach your business goals. Here are some ideas on how you can improve employee performance.
- Invest in employee development and training
- Improve employee morale by recognizing top performers and setting up fun group activities
- Empower employees by giving them access to cutting-edge software and technology
- Provide performance appraisals
#5 Learn SEO
Many business owners are instantly intimidated when they hear about search engine optimization (SEO). The truth is, SEO should be a vital part of your company's marketing strategy, especially if your business has a website and social media accounts. Learning SEO also offers immense benefits.
- It's the best source for leads
- It helps build trust and credibility
- It optimizes user experience
- It eliminates the need for ads
#6 Search for new business opportunities
If you want to increase your profits, you need to expand your horizons and capitalize on previously untapped markets like:
- Financial services
- Consulting services
#7 Optimizing your IT
Information technology (IT) has revolutionized the way businesses operate. It can really push your company forward when used effectively. Here are more reasons you should optimize your company’s IT infrastructure.
- It increases employee productivity
- It lets you reach a wider audience through social media and websites
- It enhances the way you communicate with customers and partners
- It keeps your valuable information safe from cybercriminals
Optimizing the time you have is something most business owners should learn, but optimizing your organization's IT infrastructure is something only a reputable managed IT services provider (MSP) like Complete Document Solutions can do. If you want to learn more about the advantages of partnering with us, download our free eBook now.